A car accident can permanently change your entire life in the blink of an eye. If you have been seriously injured in a car accident through no fault of your own, you deserve to recover compensation to help you recover from your injuries.
“I hear about people all the time that put their car accident claim at risk simply because they either failed to do something, or did something else that they shouldn’t have,” says Jonathan R. Mani, a Charleston, West Virginia car accident lawyer, “the best thing to do is be aware of the different thing you should and shouldn’t do after a car accident.”
The time period immediately following you car accident is the most important time concerning your car accident claim. After a car accident, you should:
– Call the Authorities – The police will help sort out the situation and they will also create a police report about the car accident that will identify who they believe is at fault.
– See a Doctor – Injuries often arise months after car accidents occur, so it is important that you see a doctor immediately to determine if you have suffered any injuries that you are unaware of.
– Obtain Information – Get the contact information for all drivers, passenger, and witnesses of the car accident. Also, be sure to get the insurance information, VIN number, and license plate number of all the vehicles involved in the car accident.
– Take Pictures – You should have a disposable camera in your car that you can use to take pictures of the car accident. You should take as many pictures as it takes to get a good representation of what occurred.
– Call a Car Accident Attorney – An experienced car accident attorney will help you deal with the insurance companies and their adjusters, they will speak with the other drivers, and they will help you identify what injuries you have suffered from the car accident.
There are also certain things that you should absolutely avoid after a car accident. After your car accident, you should not:
– Admit Fault – Car accidents are confusing and complex, and you should never admit fault because after an investigation into the car accident circumstances, it may be shown that you were not actually at fault. By admitting fault, you may not be able to receive the appropriate compensation.
– Leave the Scene – This is not only illegal, but even if you are not at fault for the car accident, you will drastically limit your ability to recover from your car accident claim.
– Wait – Many people choose to wait for the insurance companies to contact them, or take their time to call an experienced car accident lawyer. This can severely impact the outcome of your car accident claim. If you have been involved in a car accident, it is important that you contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible and get the ball rolling on your claim.
– Sign Anything – If you are presented with any papers from your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company, make sure you have an experienced car accident attorney review them before you sign anything. Signing the wrong papers may prevent your ability to recover from your car accident claim.
If you have been involved in a car accident, one of the most important things you can do to benefit your car accident claim is contact an experienced car accident attorney to help you file your claim and recover the compensation you deserve.